1. Make a List, room by room of the larger furniture and prioritise the items you will be moving to your new home
2. De Clutter. Now is an ideal opportunity to start clearing unwanted clutter, toys, books, ornaments etc. Either give unwanted goods to your local charity shop or perhaps, go to your nearest car boot sale and sell…..
3. Contact the Removals Company of your choice; make sure that company is a licensed and reputable company. You need to give your removals company minimum 2-3 weeks notice. AMC Removals are a licensed and insured company; we are also accredited members of BAR and OFT and IAM.
4. Enquire about additional Insurance such as Transit Insurance or Storage Insurance if you have valuables or antiques should you require it.
5. If you are pre-packing goods in advance, make sure you do not over pack the boxes, use good quality sturdy boxes (your removals company can hire or sell to you) and use quality packaging such as bubble wrap and tape when packing fragile. Label all boxes with content details – have the markers and stickers to hand.
6. Work from room to room; when packing electric goods , make sure all extensions, plugs and accessories are packed together, even taped to each other. If you are dismantling beds or furniture, make sure all parts are tied/wrapped together.
7. Moving house for children can be extremely stressful – be sure you leave out children’s favourite toys, blankets and perhaps some favourite books and DVDs to settle them during the first few days in your new home.
8. Keep all contact details, guarantees, bank statements and important documentation etc together and have them accessible when securing re-connection, resumption of services in your new home etc
9. When packing tools or outdoor equipment, make sure all sharp corners or dangerous edges are wrapped well. Empty oil from lawn mowers and other machinery; gas cylinders will not be carried on removals vehicles. Cover bicycles chains to prevent staining.
10. Make sure you check all rooms and garden sheds when your removals team have completed placing furniture onto the removals vehicle – and don’t forget the dog…